The "Flag Book" is the one document that covers the Boys State experience in a hip pocket format. These books are distributed to each citizen attending Boys State.
Download the 2015 Flag Book [PDF]
Download the 2015 Program Schedule [PDF]
The Pledge Card/Physical Exam/Parental Consent Form is mandatory for all Boys State participants.
Download the Pledge Card [PDF]
The American Legion Post that is sending delegates to Boys State may arrange/provide transportation to and from the program. If the Post does not have the resources to transport the delegate, it is the delegate's responsibility to make his own arrangements.
© AWP and VA Boys State
Two senators from each of the 49 Boys States represent their state at Boys Nation in Washington, D.C. each year, and two delegates from Virginia Boys State will have this honor. Learn more at the Boys Nation website.
The selection process involves counselor recommendations and a interview process; two senators and two alternates will be selected. The program is held in Washington, D.C. during the month of July. All expenses are paid by the American Legion Boys Nation program.
Basic Rules and Regulations
Governing Participation in The American Legion Boys State
© AWP and VA Boys State
- I will obey all rules, regulations, and directions as established by the officials of the program.
- I will respect and protect all properties and facilities at Radford University, my host for the week.
- I will perform my duties as a boys state citizen to the best of my ability and endeavor to conduct myself as a gentleman, so as to honor my parents, school, community state and Nation.
- I will participate in all aspects and events of the program scheduled.
- I will not actively campaign for any Boys State office prior to my arrival for the program.
- I will not bring or circulate campaign literature or material prepared prior to attending this program.
- If elected to an office, I will agree to serve in that position to the best of my ability.
- I will not leave the Radford University Campus without permission and I will wear my official Boys State uniform when permitted to be off campus.
- I will proceed in an orderly manner when moving about the campus in groups.
- I will not posses, obtain or use firearms. fireworks, or explosives while attending the Boys State program. I will not possess any weapon while attending the Boys State program.
- I will not obtain possess, consume, or in any way use alcoholic beverages, unlawful drugs, or prescribed substances while attending the Boys State program.
- I will not participate in any form of gambling while attending the Boys State program.
- I will not use tobacco if I am under 18. NO TOBACCO ALLOWED IN BUILDINGS.
- I will not damage any property of any facility of the Radford University Campus. I understand that I will be responsible for the cost of any repairs for damages that I am deemed responsible.
- I will not keep or operate an automobile or motorcycle during the week of this program. I will not ride in or on such vehicles unless authorized to do so by a Boys State counselor.
- I will endeavor to arrive for the Boys State program between the hours of 12:00 noon and 3:00 p.m. on Sunday. and will remain though the completion of the program on the following Saturday. I understand that I am not to leave for any reason other than an emergency, such as death or illness in my family. In the event of such a emergency, I understand that I must secure prior approval from the Director or his designated assistant before I may withdraw for the program.
Note: You may bring a cell phone with you to Boys State. You will only be allowed to use your cell phone during free time periods.